Obviously losing access to a Google account can be a completely negative experience , especially if you have everything linked to it: files in Drive, Android, Chrome, YouTube, etc. As we know how frustrating it can be, we decided to create this tutorial guide for you to learn how to recover a Gmail account if we do not have access .
The only thing we can say is that it is best to be prepared in advance, in this way we make sure that whatever happens, we never lose our account. However, we are going to see all the methods that we have to be able to recover a Gmail account.
Create a backup frequently
Before we talk in detail about how to recover a Gmail account, we are compelled to recommend that you make a backup to avoid losing important data in case that account can never be recovered. Google allows us to download all the data from Takeout .
Keep a record of the old password
One of the ways that Google verifies our identity if we lose the password , is by asking us to enter the old password. Obviously if too long has passed since we changed the password, it can be difficult to remember what it was. So a good idea is to keep track of your passwords.
For this we can use a password manager to be able to have all the current and old passwords backed up.
Provide Google with all recovery information in advance
A good idea is to provide Google with the recovery information in advance. So that, in this way, if on any occasion we must verify our identity, we can do it quickly and easily.
- The first thing we should do is go to the Google settings page and we will click where it says “Security” in the left sidebar.
- In this new page, we are going to have to scroll down and we will see a section that says “Methods to verify your identity”.
- Here we will see if we have configured the recovery phone number or recovery email address.
- In case you did not complete any of these steps, it would be best if you do.
Set up a recovery email account
A recovery email account can be another Gmail account. It can be an alternative account or one of a friend or relative that we trust a lot.
- For this we are going to go to the section “Methods to verify your identity” from the “Security” option and we are going to click on “Recovery email”.
- We will have to write the email address that we choose for recovery and we will click on “Verify”.
- Google will then send a six-digit verification code to the email address we entered. We will have to go to this email, copy the code and paste it on the recovery page.
How to set up a recovery phone number
Again we will have to go to the option “Methods to verify your identity” in the “Security” section and click on “Recovery phone”.
We must enter the phone number in the pop-up box and Google will send us a text or SMS message with a verification code that we must enter on the page.
How to recover my Gmail account password if I don’t have access
What happens if we lose the password and cannot enter in any way? We can use the Gmail recovery page and answer a few questions.
The problem is that the options are a bit limited. We have had the opportunity to test this method in a test account and they asked us for things like the last password, verification code of the alternate email and phone, the answer to the security question.
When we comment that we do not have any of those or only some, it sends us a message where it tells us that we should try again. It is not the best system to recover a Gmail account. Even if we enter all the data that Google bots request, it may not be enough.
What can we do? If you have already lost access to your account, it is very likely that nothing . However, it is best to be cautious and enable all possible ways to recover the account in the event that it occurs, as we discussed a little above.